Re: why NetBSD include binary/blob driver or firmware by default?

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, Cem Kayali wrote:

Most of replies mentions about firmwares already existing because they are part of hardware cpu. I do know and I really understand that! There is nothing to do about that even if i run dd=/dev/zero of=/wholedrive.

I just wanted to KINDLY ask developers that how could someone exclude binary/blob only drivers while compiling the current. A brief documentation would be really good.

        I think it would be perfectly reasonable for the drivers which
        load firmware onto their device to mention this in their manual
        pages, at which point whether the firmware was available in
        source form could also be noted.

        If someone were to provide patches to the NetBSD manual pages
        to include such information I'm sure they would be committed.