Re: audiorecord producing only white noise

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 04:13:31PM -0500, James K. Lowden wrote:
> Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> > what is record.source set to?  the
> > fix might might be as simple as mixerctl -w record.source=line
>
> Hi Aaron,
>
> $ mixerctl -a |grep record
> record.source=line
> record.volume=240,240
> record.volume.mute=off
>
> Thanks.  Sadly, no. :-(   I'm pretty sure audiorecord and mixerctl both
> set /dev/sound, so
>
>       mixerctl -w record.source=line
> and
>       audiorecord -p line
>
> do the same thing.
>
> BTW, gramofile is immaterial.  With nothing running, I'm able to play the
> tape through the sound card to the speakers.  So the hardware's OK, or at
> least hooked up correctly.

the mixer controls are working.  for ac97 parts, the record controls
takes a signal path separate from the mixer.  your problem seems limited
to ADC operation.  as a wild stab in the dark, if your tape deck is
playing through your sound card, you could try setting
inputs.dac.mute=on and record.source=mixerout, then recording.
(obviously inputs.dac.mute=off before trying to playback the recording.)

--
  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
agrier%poofygoof.com@localhost