Re: software RAID: ataraid(4) vs raidframe(4) ?

2008/9/4 Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost>:

> And how do you make sure they're in sync in case of an unclean shutdown ?
> Do you have to let the BIOS run the parity rebuild until before booting ?

With the current NetBSD driver you are never sure if data is synced, unless
a rebuild has been issued through the BIOS management. NetBSD code will
_only_ tell you if a component has failed... just take a look at the
ld_ataraid.c
code.

I'd wish to be able to add spare disks and rebuild the arrays through bioctl(8)
in the future. We'd only need to look at FreeBSD's ataraid or Linux dmraid code.