Alt-x in jed

When run in a console jed (0.99.16 from pkgsrc) does not seem able to
provide an Alt-x meta character for the minibuffer. Esc-` doesn't do
it either. I've tried with vt100 and wsvt25 terminal types.

Otoh xjed works as per usual emacs-emulation as far as Alt-x is concerned.

This is an old plain vanilla i386 running -current 4.99.64 from this past June.

--
No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely