Re: help with an audit-packages shell script

Tonnerre Lombard <tonnerre%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

>> It would be nice if audit-packages had a -m switch that caused it to:
>>
>>   always exit with status 0 unless sending mail failed
>>
>>   send mail if downloading fails or if there are vulnerable packages
>>
>> Then one could just put audit-packages -m in cron and have the right
>> thing happen, more or less.
>>
>> Also, it would be cool to have a nagios plugin to check audit-packages
>> freshness/status.
>
> I would suggest that /etc/security.local is the right place for
> precisely that. I don't see the point in teaching audit-packages to
> send mail.

The problem for me is that I'd like not to get mail unless there is a
reason, and I filter all my daily reports for 20 machines to a separate
mailbox and basically don't read them.  Perhaps I should instead clean
up enough that the security reports would be suppressed if nothing is
wrong.