Fwd: Dialup Terminal Access

From: Isaac Wagner-Muns <fubar22%gmail.com@localhost>
Date: July 24, 2008 3:04:20 AM CDT
To: Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost>
Subject: Re: Dialup Terminal Access

how would one go about configuring the modem? is there a way to tell the modem to listen for calls at boot or should i write a script to do it?

On Jul 24, 2008, at 2:50 AM, Martin Husemann wrote:

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 01:25:34AM -0500, Isaac Wagner-Muns wrote:
would anyone be able to point me to any reading materials that talk
about setting up a netbsd system as a dial in terminal server? most
things i've found seem to be talking about using PPP or SLIP, and i'm
just trying to run a simple shell server.

It's been a while since I last did that, but there is not much to it:
you configure the modem to answer, connect it, edit /etc/ttys to select
the proper speed for that port - and that's it.

If you need anything more fancy (like incoming faxes, autoselection of ppp calls and shell calls) replace getty for that line with (for example)
comms/mgetty from pkgsrc.

Martin

The NY Times is read by the people who run the country. The Washington Post is read by the people who think they run the country. The National Enquirer
is read by the people who think Elvis is alive and running the country.
                -- Robert Woodhead