Re: Has someone tested NetBSD on a netbook (eeepc, aspire one etc.)?

thacrazze wrote:
Hello,

I have a question. Has someone tested NetBSD on a netbook (eeepc,
aspire one etc.)?

Does it work? Has it restrictions? Works WLAN? How long holds the battery?

-- thacrazze

Hi,

I used to use NetBSD i386 4.99.XX on "Acer Aspire 5710G" notebook. Basic hardware are as

Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz, 2MB Cache / 2048 MB DDR2 667MHz
120 GB SATA / DVD+-RW
896MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD2300
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
Acer Crystal Eye (Suyin) 0.3MP
15.4 WXGA / 1280x800 / CrystalBrite LCD

What works perfectly:
- SATA HDD in ide mode. Ahci support recently added
- radeonhd driver from pkgsrc/modular-xorg-server 1280x800
- Wireless wep / wpa-psk using wpa_supplicant - wpi
- power off (shutdown -p)
- Brightness keys +/-
- CD and DVD writer
- PPP+GPRS connection through usb cable
- Ethernet card - bge
- External hard drive through usb cable and usb ram
- External mouse, keyboard, usb multiplier, usb printer etc
What requires a bit of work
- Sound - azalia. You need to adjust some of sysctl varibales.
What does not work
- Webcam

Not tested
- Fax/modem
- TV out

Additional comments
- Cpu frequency can be adjusted. That's good plus. Values are 800, 1200, 1600, 2000

Regards,
Cem