foo.baz.edu ???

Hello Everyone!!!

I've had my NebBSD system installed for about a week - what an educational experience!!! I've gone from total "newb" to setting up a BIND name server on OS X (that is cool!!!)

But I still have not been able to figure out what the... "NIS domain name" formerly Internet YP and not
to be confused with an internet domain name" ... is.

In retrospect the "foo.baz.edu" example does clarify that Hostname is not just "foo" and so that
we can assume that Domain name is not "baz.edu"

In fact, now that I have my own name server (!), I don't even have to worry about whether my Hostname
is real or fictitious, because I my NetBSD computer has a "real" hostname

But I've read the definition for domain name over and over and over...I've read man pages, NetBSD Wiki,
done Google searches... oh yeah...I actually came up with an example
   # root@earth    domainname planet

OK, all sarcasm aside, I couldn't find any examples.

Without an example, I don't have a clue whether it's supposed to be a dns domain name (i.e. if I had web-server, this would be my domain name) or whether it's supposed to be a dns name server
(my intuition tells me it's not the website addy to the NIS yellow pages)

Could somebody please give me a simple answer to this question :-)
What is a NIS domaine name (according to my NetBSD operating system)?

I apologize for any sarcasm that is seeping through. but I've gone all out buggy trying to figure out the answer
on my own. So any help would be really, really, really appreciated!!! :D

Thanks in advance!!!

Sincerely,
Bryan Pierce