setting up gdm

Hi All,

It has been a long time since I have used X. Since I am donating an AMD
system to Habitat for Humanity for them to use a samba server, I thought
since they only seem to know anything about windows I would install X,
basically for a graphical login. I think I have used some linux distro
where on the graphical login there was an option to shutdown. My son said
I should probably use gdm, so I installed that through pkgsrc (of course,
it installed gnome), although x starts, I can't get it to use gnome or
give me a graphic login. I have googled and googled and tried many
different things, but nothing so far has helped. It seemed like when I set
this up like 5 or 6 years ago it wasn't real hard, I just can't get it to
work now. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Al