skype Failed: "Problem with Audio Plaback"

(I have one hour to get skype working before a conference call.)

I installed wip/skype -- skype-1.4.0.118 on NetBSD 4.0 i386.

Any hints or pointers on the audio setup?

fstat shows many sound0 open by skype. But it has popup about failed
audio.

FWIW ogg123 using "sun" with /dev/audio works fine to play audio.

(wip version is latest 1.4 series; official pkgsrc version doesn't exist.)

Skype is hardcoded to /dev/dsp -- don't see how to change.

/emul/linux/dev/dsp symlink to sound which is symlink to sound0 -- all
readable and writable. (I have no /dev/dsp.)