Azalia Strangeness

I have a 4.0 i386 box with integrated azalia sound; I have four programs that utilize the sound card, two of which -- ogle and gxine -- pipe sound through the speakers, although in neither case does the slider alter the volume; the other two -- xmcd and xmms-radio (I have an old gtp fm card) do not, although both find a signal and visually appear to be working. Is this a problem with the azalia driver, or did several different programs find the same bug? All the packages were built from pkgsrc.

Thanks for any ideas.

George E Sollish        Chief Engineer
                        Auto Gear Company