Re: Help with installation please

On 11 Jun 2008 at 22:33, annne annnie wrote:

> Yes, I do.  If I should install NetBSD first I can do that.  I have no
> problem reinstalling debian as it isn't complicated.

You have too many options that will mostly all work ok depending on
initial MBR and pc's bios.

I normally use OS preferred bootloader in  PBR (Partition Boot
Record) for that os, and in MBR have Lilo, Grub or NetBSD bootloader.

You can also have all OS booted from loader in MBR but this can cause
problems when a particular os is upgraded (sometimes I've found mbr
gets zapped no matter how hard I try to avoid it).

I'd install Linux first in its own partitions but make sure you have
a single primary partition allocated for NetBSD. Make an extended
partition for Linux and swap (I'm still using a separate /boot but
now Ubuntu can't even manage with one of 64MB and it's no longer
required to be below 1024 cyl with modern bootloaders).

Install NetBSD and specify to put bootloader in PBR rather than MBR.
During NetBSD install you have to create disklabel partitions within
the NetBSD partition and possibly at a first install it's best to
accept suggested defaults.

Assuming you already have Grub installed for booting Linux you just
add NetBSD to your list as per example in menu.lst for windows,
update-grub and that's it.

Below was created by a Dapper or Feisty original install (can't
remember) and updated since with no problems (not typical):

Ubuntu => 7.10 => 8.04 (internet upgraded)
NetBSD 3.? => 4.0Beta => 4.1 => 4.99.63 (cd upgrades)

David

#########
/boot/grub/menu.lst (with default Ubuntu and most comments removed)
#########

default         0
timeout         10

# Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
title           Other operating systems:
root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda2
title           Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
hide            (hd0,0)
unhide          (hd0,1)
root            (hd0,1)
savedefault