Re: making multi file archive

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, George Georgalis wrote:
I had thought tar would accept an argument to make a
"multi tape archive" but I'm not seeing it.

What I would like to happen is produce multiple tar
bzip2 archives of a 14 Gb directory structure each being
small enough to fit on a dvd. The archives should be
independent and not requiring the others for extraction
(typically only one file will be drawn and we don't want
to require reassembly of the entire 14 Gb to get it.)

Obviously one big trick here is calculating archive size
before compression and determining which files go in
which archives.

Is there some way to do this?

From skimming the man page for tar, I don't see anythign that will do
that, but if you take a look at pax and its -B flag, you might be able
to get what you're looking for.

--
Michael Parson
mparson%bl.org@localhost