Re: NetBSD RAID server suggestion

André Wienck wrote:

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:48:15 +0200, Frank Wille wrote:

The servers should have RAID support for 2.5" disks, 1 GBit ethernet
and low power consumption.  And they have to be powerful enough to
run as a (Apache/Zope) web-server, (Postfix) mail server and (MySQL)
data base server at the same time.

My suggestion would be to go for Sun Fire X**** series, depending on
your storage needs. If you need a hell of a lot of storage, for example,
the X4500 has space for tons of 2.5" disks IIRC. And Sun Fire X****
(amd64) servers tend to work perfectly well with NetBSD.

I forgot to mention "cheap". :)

Although an X2100 should be available for 750 Euro ($1189), which is
ok, and delivers more computing power than we need. And I like Sun!

I will definitely consider it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Another cheap and sufficient solution for a small server, which I found
on the net, is the new VIA Epia SN18000G board. It should draw not
much more than 30W with a VIA C7 at 1.8 GHz. A problem is the missing
hardware RAID. The price is 219 Euro (without RAM).

Any experience with NetBSD on the SN18000G?

--
Frank Wille