Re: setting up IPv6 addresses in rc.conf?

"Steven M. Bellovin" writes:
- On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 01:24:48 -0600
- eric%cirr.com@localhost (Eric Schnoebelen) wrote:
- > Greg Troxel writes:
- > ->   Is it possible to specify more than one interface address solely in
- > ->   rc.conf via ifconfig_xxN variables?  I don't see a way to do it.
- > -
- > - The basic problem seems to be that one wants multiple invocations of
- > - ifconfig, with different values.  With files, you just have multiple
- > - lines.  So either we need line breaks in the string, or
- > -
- > - ifconfig_de0_0="inet 1.2.3.4/8"
- > - ifconfig_de0_1="inet6 2001:2:3::4"
- > - ifconfig_de0_2=....
- >
- > Um, this may sound silly or basic, but I do the following:
- >
- >     ifconfig_de0="inet 1.2.3.4 netmask 0xffff0000"
- >     ifconfig_de0="${ifconfig_de0} inet6 2001:2:3::4"
- >
-
- Hmm -- when I tried more or less that, I got a message saying that I
- couldn't add two addresses to a non-point-to-point interface.  I'll try
- it again.

Erp, I think I was answering a different question.  I just
attempted the above, and got the error Steve was indicating.

Sorry for spreading mis-information.

--
Eric Schnoebelen                eric%cirr.com@localhost
http://www.cirr.com