setting up IPv6 addresses in rc.conf?

Is it possible to specify more than one interface address solely in
rc.conf via ifconfig_xxN variables?  I don't see a way to do it.

What I'd like to be able to do is set the v4 and v6 addresses.  I
prefer to use rc.conf instead of /etc/ifconfig_xxN files, so that all
of the per-node configuration (of that type) is in one file.

I see there is an ifaliases variable, but it has 'inet' hardwired into
the script.  I tried setting the v6 address via ifconfig_xxN and the v4
address via ifaliases_xxN, but then I couldn't set the default route
for v4, since that's done after the primary addresses are set and
before the aliases.

FreeBSD permits ifconfig_xxN_aliasM variables, which would do the
trick.  They also have ipv6_ifconfig... variables.  Is it worth
importing that code?  Is there another way to do what I want?