unconfigured generic ATI VGA card?

I have an oldish ATI PCI video card which I've just added to a Soekris
net5501 host running NetBSD 4.0 GENERIC.  I'm assuming this card would
be a generic VGA-capable card, yet although the kernel recognises the
card it isn't configured:

ATI Technologies Radeon 7000/VE QY (VGA display) at pci0 dev 14 function
0 not configured

... what would I need to do to get this card configured by the kernel?
I don't want to run X on this host necessarily since it's already pretty
starved of memory, but I do want to be able to use it for a text mode
console ...

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch%mjch.net@localhost                                                left