Re: geting some file stat

Don't forget you can stat multiple files, too:

stat -f "%N %u %g %Mp%Lp" filename1 filename2 ...

On Feb 19, 2008, at 14:18, George Georgalis wrote:

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 02:58:03PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 11:32:27AM -0800, Jan Schaumann wrote:
George Georgalis <> wrote:
I'm having difficulty determining a fast way to get the
mode/UID/GID of a *large* number of files... I'm trying
to use stat, but the numeric values that I could record
for later input to chmod/chown commands are not easy to
come by. Best method I see is to grep out stat -x output
but I was wondering if there is a way to use -f or some
other means?

stat -f "%u %g %p" filename

Perfect. I must have been confused by all the details in
the man page, also no "uid" or "gid" strings to search

So, what is the most efficient way to get the 4 least
significant bytes of "%p" (for input to chmod)?

Think I got it.. stat -f "%u %g %Mp%Lp" filename

// George

George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><