Re: Change MAC address in 4.0?

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:14:29 -0500
Steven Sartorius <ssartor%bellatlantic.net@localhost> wrote:

> Reading some of the posts on dslreports suggests that some people
> have been able to pull an IP from Verizon by cloning the MAC address
> of the router.  How can I do this in NetBSD 4.0?  A quick google
> turned up nothing useful -- some mention of 'netgraph' in FreeBSD
> but nothing for NetBSD.  Doesn't look like the NetBSD version of
> 'ifconfig' has the 'ether' option....

This was posted a few weeks ago.

From: comfooc <comfooc%gmail.com@localhost>
To: tech-net%NetBSD.org@localhost
Subject: Re: MAC address issue - workaround
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 01:02:49 +0100
Sender: tech-net-owner%NetBSD.org@localhost

How to "change" MAC address - workaround.
If someone have the same problem (extracted from thread).

Lets assume that you have epN interface.

# ifconfig tapN create
# sysctl -w net.link.tap.tapN=f0:0f:f0:0f:f0:0f  # which is wanted MAC address
# ifconfig bridgeN create
# brconfig bridgeN add tapN add epN
# ifconfig tapN up
# ifconfig epN up