Re: anyone use telnetd? Anyone use s/key or kerberos with telnet? rsh, rlogin?

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 04:15:30PM -0500, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. wrote:

> On 13-Feb-08, at 4:02 PM, George Georgalis wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 02:31:19PM -0600, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>>> I am curious:
>>>
>>> Do you use telnetd?
>>>
>>> Do you use use s/key or kerberos with telnet?
>>>
>>> Or SSL-wrapped telnetd?
>>>
>>> On that note, does anyone use rlogin or rsh (even if kerberos)?
>>>

>> not sure why you ask but if building a net application
>> around a shell, I would start with netcat (bound to a
>> process like shell, getty or even ssh).
>>
>> but if you need auth why not just use ssh?
>>
>> The only time I've heard of rlogin or rsh in use is to
>> support legacy app deployment.
>
> If your network is secure, e.g. IPsec or just plain physically secure, then
> rlogin and rsh are still the most ideal tools to use for remote session and
> job management in any Unix or Unix-like environment.  They have decent
> integration into the basic underlying system, and they have good working
> flow control for interactive use, almost no protocol or computation
> overhead, and they're really simple and easy to manage and use.

Thanks for clearing that up. I would have stayed away from them
just because the (unrelated) security bad talk... the thought of
dropping in remote command on a private network without managing
keys is rather appealing.

// George

--
George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><