NetBSD-Help archive

Re: what is pckbc0 ? installing netbsd of HP DL140G3

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 09:09:51PM +0000, Philip wrote:
> I tried to install NetBSD 4 on a HP DL140 G3 today at work (and failed).
> I want to use it as a firewall in front of a Linux server that has some
> rather sensitive stuff on it.
> The DL140 G3 is the cheapest rack mount server that HP do and it comes with
> iLo and mine has a RAID
> controller too, great stuff.
>
> The install kernel hung for a long time and the keyboard didn't work.
> According to this doc
> http://maciejewski.org/?cat=8
> if I recompile the kernel with pckbc0 support then it will work okay

I guess you mean 'without'; the kernel already has -c

> so some questions...
> What's pckbc0 ?

The keyboard controller

> without pckbc0 is it just picking up keyboard input from the bios rather than
> directly from the
> keyboard or something ?

I guess there's a USB keyboard, isn't it ?

> How do I compile an install kernel without it and boot it ?

At first you can interrupt the boot countown an type 'boot -c'.
Then type
disable pckbc
quit

and it should boot with pckbc disabled.

> or can I some way to redirect to serial port and install from there ?

You can, there's a boot-com.iso iso image (with only the installer, you'll
have to swap in your full 4.0 CD to install the sets once the kernel is
loaded).