NetBSD-Help archive

10 second delay in login

Ok, it is now time to ask for help!!

   I have been experiencing a 10 second delay on using ssh (and rsh)
to a host.   m2 is on a private network behind m1 and so I've enabled
rsh.   But with both rsh and ssh I get the following (script below) where
several times I get a sub 1 second real time to execute a command like
date on the remote machine, but every 4th or 5th time this command is
run I get  a 10 second delay.  (See the 4th one below.)   It happens the
same way with either ssh or rsh.     I've tried with home both on a local
disk and on a NFS mounted home and both act the same.   All host
names are in /etc/hosts.

Does anyone have any help ???

--Phil

m1[510]$ while true ; do time ssh -x m2 date ; done
Wed Feb 20 23:23:41 PST 2008

real    0m0.767s
user    0m0.029s
sys     0m0.000s