Re: csh(1) and standard shell commands

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 06:53:48PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> (I don't think teaching man to summon them based on $SHELL is a good
> idea, at least not until we or someone comes up with an overall master
> plan for modernizing how man page indexing, searching, and lookup
> works.)

This is an interesting discussion to have. I remember mentioning an index to
Jeremy C. Reed some time ago in the context of a book.

I know it is possible and easy to make a good index in LaTeX. How hard would
it be to make something similar for man-pages / troff? That is, without the
need to resort to .Xr; by creating some sort of database from the text itself.

(And by index I mean here a book-like index; something like

                absolute pathname       foo(1), bar(2), baz(9)
                addressing, socket      netintro(4), socket(2), unix(4)
                assert macro            assert(3)
.)

- Jukka.