NetBSD-Docs archive

Re: csh(1) and standard shell commands

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 01:35:56PM -0400, Martin S. Weber wrote:

 > > Thanks, I missed that.
 > >
 > > Was a conclusion reached?
 > Sadly, not that I'm aware of.

I remember it coming up somewhere else too a couple years ago and that
also producing no conclusions.

I think what I suggested in the PR (making pages for the common
builtins that crossreference shell docs) is a reasonable way forward
if anyone wants to take it up; I might get to it eventually if nobody
else does, but that isn't likely to happen soon. :-/

I think it might also be worth splitting the docs for builtins out of
csh(1), which is too large; but those pages should be called something
like csh.alias(1) or csh-alias(1).

(I don't think teaching man to summon them based on $SHELL is a good
idea, at least not until we or someone comes up with an overall master
plan for modernizing how man page indexing, searching, and lookup

David A. Holland