NetBSD-Desktop archive

Re: Adding a simple editor to the base system

On 12 Feb 2009 at 12:03, dhs%chromiq.org@localhost wrote:

> On Feb 12 2009, Iain Hibbert wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, David Brownlee wrote:
> >
> >> From: Iain Hibbert <plunky%rya-online.net@localhost>
> >>
> >> As a general rule, everything vaguely relevant will go into the desktop
> >> meta package, but only *very* select programs should be imported into
> >> base.
> >>
> >> Does that address your concerns?
> >
> >My biggest concern is not really that its 56k, or duplicated
> >functionality, or any kind of 'dumbing down' that is being bandied about
> >elsewhere, but that adding it to 'base' its a short term fix rather
>
> I don't see it quite that way -- adding a small, useable, editor to base
> will help those that do not want the full-blown desktop, but *do* want to
> start using NetBSD to do other useful stuff (see my emails passsim) without
> having to go through vi-hell[*] which is simply not necessary at that stage
> [IMHO]...
>
> > than the imo vastly better option of providing a customisable install
> > that can include such.
>
> We should have that anyway... sushi-NG ?? ;-)
>
> >I have no objections to providing such a simple editor as part of an
> >official NetBSD distribution, just that I think if integrating third party
> >softwares to a 'distribution' was made possible, the need to maintain them
> >in 'base' would be removed.
>
> But I think that *would* be a more widespread win, for the reasons
> stated... :)
>
> >Perhaps I responded in the wrong discussion :)
> >
> >iain
> >

> /DHS
>
> [*] I use vi frequently, BTW, and it's great for doing all sort of things
> that freak the goooey, point'n'click, people out. But forcing a novice to
> use it, even in the "non-desktop" install, "just becasue" isn't really
> helpful...

I hate it when I end up booted to single user and rather than just
needing fsck I need to do a little more and edit some files. I need
use a crib to get vi working in that situation so on some systems
have
'joe' available, or boot from cd. Thing is it doesn't happen so often
and having such an editor in base is ok for me.

David