NetBSD-Desktop archive

Re: Adding a simple editor to the base system

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, David Brownlee wrote:

> From: Iain Hibbert <plunky%rya-online.net@localhost>
> > Far better imo would be to work on providing a way to create and install a
> > base system with packages included. That way, a "Desktop NetBSD" release
> > can be built with GNOME (and ee :) but very easily somebody else can
> > create a config file for XCFE or "Xen Server" or -nothing- if they prefer
> > that.
>
> As a general rule, everything vaguely relevant will go into the desktop
> meta package, but only *very* select programs should be imported into base.
>
> Does that address your concerns?

My biggest concern is not really that its 56k, or duplicated
functionality, or any kind of 'dumbing down' that is being bandied about
elsewhere, but that adding it to 'base' its a short term fix rather than
the imo vastly better option of providing a customisable install that can
include such.

I have no objections to providing such a simple editor as part of an
official NetBSD distribution, just that I think if integrating third party
softwares to a 'distribution' was made possible, the need to maintain them
in 'base' would be removed.

Perhaps I responded in the wrong discussion :)

iain