NetBSD-Advocacy archive

Re: Making a localized, educational live-usb version of Netbsd? Possible, and is worth it?

On April 6, 2014 7:33:34 AM EDT, Aleksej Saushev <asau%inbox.ru@localhost>
wrote:
>Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:
>
>> On 5 April 2014 16:56, Aleksej Saushev <asau%inbox.ru@localhost> wrote:
>>> LiveCD is of no use to people who have no functional CD drive
>>> or no CD drive at all. This is why it is the wrong approach.
>>
>> By livecd I meant any system which is not installed to local hard
>disk
>> and resets itself after reboot. It doesn't have to boot from a CD, it
>> can boot from any removable media, the principle is the same.
>
>Live CD is significantly different from live USB pen drive and SD card,
>it has to be in a separate category because building it is based on
>completely different principle. Same for live DVD.

How is it any different?  In both cases you create a boot image that you don't
change, and boot it on a machine whose existing installation you don't change.
That seems pretty similar to me.
The fact that in one case the media physically prevents you from modifying it
seems largely irrelevant.

Eric