NetBSD-Advocacy archive

Re: Making a localized, educational live-usb version of Netbsd? Possible, and is worth it?

On 6 April 2014 17:14, Aleksej Saushev <asau%inbox.ru@localhost> wrote:
> What is the reason then?
>
> Booting a system installed on SD card does not imply replacing the one
> installed on your hard drive (as implied by your "proper installation").
>
> Applied to your project, is it a requirement or of any necessity?

I'm no longer actively working at this project (they have decided to
go for Edubuntu) but, yes, in my case the usb pendrive should have
been given to young students, and in this case it's paramount that
they don't mess up with the installation.

>> What about
>> the countless Linux live-usb distributions around? Are they all going
>> in the wrong directions? And all the millions of downloads?
>
> Do they all use read-only file systems?

I'm surprised that you ask this question at all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_USB

Quote:
======
Live USBs are closely related to live CDs, but sometimes have the
ability to persistently save settings and permanently install software
packages back onto the USB device. Like live CDs, live USBs can be
used in embedded systems for system administration, data recovery, or
the testing of operating system distributions without committing to a
permanent installation on the local hard disk drive.
=======

Here you go: "without committing to a permanent installation" is my reason.

I have just used SytstemRescueCd (on a usb stick) to repartition my
hard drive and make room for Netbsd.

--
Ottavio