Re: macos: "configure: error: gmp library too old"

On Thu, Sep 26, 2024 at 01:32:35PM +1000, matthew green wrote:
> > checking for main in -lgmp... yes
> > configure: error: gmp library too old
>
> that's odd.. what's in the config.log for tools/isl where it fails?
> normally that's about 60% in the file, if you've not seen before,
> and contains the useful info..

This is new with the Xcode 16 update.

Going by the dicussion in https://trac.macports.org/ticket/70859 this is
because Apple now requires 16 byte alignment for functions and the gmp ASM
routines specify 8 byte alignment.

The proposed solution is to build gmp with --disable-assembly.

And indeed, this make the tools build succeed.  This is better than with
Xcode 15 where I would get cc1* executables that would bus error on
startup when the dynamic linker was fixing up relocations.

Apparently this applies on x86_64 only.
--chris