Re: looking for a well-supported network card

On Fri, 2 Aug 2024 12:30:50 +0200
Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

> I've bought a new server for NetBSD use last fall, and I've now tried
> three network drivers but all of them were troubled, see PR 57694
> (rge), PR 57695 (ure), PR 58538 (cdce).
>
> Can someone please recommend a network card that I can buy in Europe
> and use via USB or slot into a PCIe slot that works really well on
> NetBSD? Bonus points if it supports 2.5G.

For PCIe I would go with wm(4).
Look for "Intel pro/1000" or "Intel pro/1000 server" on amazon.de.
It doesn't do 2.5G but there are dual and quad port options if you
have a LACP capable switch.

For USB, axe(4) and axen(4) [search term: Asix Ethernet adapter] have
historically worked OK for me but ymmv. Wouldn't go with a USB NIC if
you have PCIe slots available.

-Tobias