Re: amd64-current live image build failure

On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 at 06:42, Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost> wrote:

> > cat  work.mbr.truncated work.efi imgroot.fs work.gpt > work.img
> > /dumps/sysbuild/amd64/tools/bin/nbgpt  work.img biosboot -i 2
> >   -c /dumps/sysbuild/amd64/obj/home/sysbuild/src/distrib/amd64/liveimage/emuimage/work/usr/mdec/gptmbr.bin
> > nbgpt: work.img: No primary GPT header; run create or recover
>
> If you are trying an update build (with -u) and your previous build
> was using source tree files before UEFI changes against liveimage,
>  https://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2024/04/13/msg150802.html
> a stale work.mbr (${WORKMBR}) image doesn't contain GPT (but MBR)
> so ${TOOL_GPT} on the update build may fail.

That explains it - I do use update build, but on occasion, when
something fails, I tend to remove the destdir and|or obj. In this case
I started afresh a little earlier than the abovementioned commit.

BTW my next question was to be 'Why live image is only MBR, as the
install image is GPT?', but I see I am late for it...

> The similar issue (against the secondary GPT headers) occured
> if IMAGE size is changed:
>  https://gnats.netbsd.org/56132
>
> Maybe we should note it (remove work.mbr on updating builds)
> in doc/UPDATING?
>
> ---
> Izumi Tsutsui

Thanks,