live-USB on SanDisk Cruzer Glide (was: Re: USB hubs/controllers detached before umass devices)

On Sat, 16 Mar 2024, John D. Baker wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Mar 2024, John D. Baker wrote:
>
> > The only difference is that the USB devices with netbsd-10 are
> > branded SanDisk and the ones with -current are branded PNY.

I've just completed a dump/restore to swap the i386 live images so
that 10.0_RC6 is on the PNY flash drive and -current (10.99.10) is
on the SanDisk flash drive.

The problem follows the SanDisk drive.  Anything that causes the filesystem
to be altered provokes the "Generic HBA error" (and if the disk was
actually mounted, further "error writing fsbn XXXXXXXX" messages).

Hitting reset to skip the 40-minute wait for all the retries to time
out, rebooting the live image single-user and running 'fsck' to repair
the filesystem, then immediately issuing 'halt', the system again reports
the "Generic HBA error" but continues with the remaining steps to halt
the system.

Has anyone else had issues using a SanDisk USB flash drive for a NetBSD
live image for NetBSD 9.99.*, -10, -current?

These exact same SanDisk USB flash drives (Cruzer Glide 16GB) have been
used with netbsd-8 and netbsd-9 in the past and did not exhibit this
problem.  (By "used", I mean installed/updated/tested.  They've never
seen any active use beyond that.)

When used as a non-boot disk, it doesn't seem to have any problem even
if left mounted at system halt/reboot.

|\ / jdbaker[snail]consolidated[flyspeck]net  OpenBSD            FreeBSD