Re: raidframe and gpt

On 2024-03-16 21.58, Paul Goyette wrote:
On Sat, 16 Mar 2024, Paul Goyette wrote:

Does anyone have an example of how to configure raid0 on a GPT disk?

I can easily set the partition type with gpt, but how do I reserve
space for the raid component label?  Do I need to reserve that space?

You don't need to reserve the space. RAIDframe takes care of that. So you just set the partition type appropriately, and tell RAIDframe about the partition...

Also, does raidframe understand the NAME=gpt-label syntax in the
config file?  Or does it require me to specify the particular dk<n> ?
(And what happens if something moves and <n> changes?)

RAIDframe doesn't understand NAME=gpt-label. Use /dev/dk<n> , and then set the RAID set to autoconfigure. It'll magically figure out what devices need to be glued together.

One more quuestion: the raidctl man page talks about partitioning the
raid<n> device using mbr partitions.  Is it possible to use GPT here?
Will the resulting wedges show up automatically?

You can use GPT instead of mbr. Wedges should show up automatically (I'm pretty sure they do, but since I do NFS exporting of mine, I stuck with MBR so the filesystem ID doesn't change every time the n in dk<n> for the RAID deivce changes :( )

It seems so much simpler to use ccd(4) but there's a nasty memory
allocation bug which makes it unuseable for now.

Thanks in advance!

If you're using -current, note that you can now use:

 raidctl raid0 create mirror /dev/dk0 /dev/dk1

to do a simple RAID config without needing to use the config file...

Later...

Greg Oster