Re: What to do about "WARNING: negative runtime; monotonic clock has gone backwards"

Taylor R Campbell <riastradh%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> Can you please try running with the attached patch and share the
> warnings it produces?  Should give slightly more information.

I applied the patch and caught this:

[ 76783.161208] WARNING: lwp 16 (system idle/1) flags 0xa0000020: timecounter went backwards from (76784 + 0x219ae38ce039d545/2^64) sec at netbsd:mi_switch+0x11e on cpu1 to (76783 + 0x30f9c248a810cadf/2^64) sec at netbsd:mi_switch+0x11e on cpu1

The system had just performed three builds of the world and was in the
process of doing cvs updates against -current, the NetBSD 10 branch and
the NetBSD 9 branch.  After doing the cvs updates, it then rebuild the
cscope indexes for each branch.  There would be a lot of disk activity
during this, but the CPU load would not be very high.

Chronyd, which is what is being used on that system instead of ntpd,
noted this:

Jul 27 07:15:06 samwise chronyd[1144]: Forward time jump detected!

Right now the system is somewhat unresponsive for any new logins, but
the console still works (NFS might be mucked up or something).  I am
going to let it sit for a while and see if ssh comes back.  The actual
time on the system is not off by much (if any).

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org