Re: nouveau: back in text console after switch to graphical one

On 22/06/08 07:09PM, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> Did either of you install any firmware files?

As I mentioned in my PR, trying to load nouveau on HEAD without the
nvidia fimrware installed under /libdata resulted in a kernel panick, at
least in my case.

This apparently due to a change in upstream nouveau code, introduced in
Linux 5.6, which made loading firmware mandatory on GPUs which require
it, otherwise the driver will simply refuse to load.

So, I already had the appropriate gpufw.txz set extracted on 9.99.96.
The system had been upgraded using sysupgrade in 2 steps (kernel first),
due to the ABI break between 9 and 10. The etcupdate and postinstall
phases had succeeded with no issue to report.

I assume that Paul G. has firmware installed and loaded as well, due to
the reasons of which above.

I have now upgraded the system to the latest 9.99.97 build, both kernel
and userland (including firmware).

The situation is always the same, so comparable to yours (same console
freezing upon nouveau loading, similar errors), and to that of Tiago S.,
who's PR (regarding a GTX 770), I referred to in my bug report.

I've booted with `-v -x', and the dmesg I get in turn is that you can
see here: https://bhh.sh/6dm

> Which firmware file is loaded?

According to the kernel buffer, I have fimrware loaded for chipset GP106
(136000a1), which should match my Pascal GTX 1060 6Gb GDDR5.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1060-6-gb.c2862

The gp106 folder is located inside /libdata/firmware/nouveau/nvidia

What I'm seeing is:

nouveau0: info: NVIDIA GP106 (13000a1)
nouveau0: info: bios: version 86.06.0e.00.99
allocated pic msi6 type edge pin 0 level 6 to cpu0 slot 22 idt entry 102
nouveau0: interrupting at msi6 vec 0 (nouveau0)
nouveau0: info: fb: 6144 MiB GDDR5

--
vms[-at]retrobsd.ddns.net   |   https://retrobsd.ddns.net