Re: nouveau: back in text console after switch to graphical one

On 22/06/05 12:24AM, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On one system I have with an nvidia geforce 1050 ti, with a GENERIC
> kernel from 9.99.95 and also from yesterday, during boot there is the
> "blank" moment where it tries to enable the graphical console.
>
> But after that blank, it goes back to text console and the kernel log
> messages stop. I guess they continue on the graphical console (that is
> however not visible to me) since the boot finishes and I can login
> with ssh.
>
> /var/run/dmesg is not very interesting though, it consists of:
>
> # uniq -c dmesg
>    1 fo: SCHED_ERROR 20 []
>  369 nouveau0: autoconfiguration error: error: fifo: SCHED_ERROR 20 []
>    1 nouveau0: autoconfiguration error: error: fifo: fault 01 [WRITE] at 000000000027e000 engine 04 [BAR1] client 08 [HUB/HOST_CPU_NB] reason 02 [PTE] on channel -1 [103fe6e000 unknown]
>  437 nouveau0: autoconfiguration error: error: fifo: SCHED_ERROR 20 []
>
> On the "text" console the last lines I see are nouveau:
>
> nouveau0: info NVIDIA GM204 (124020a1)
> nouveau0: info bios version 84.04.31.00.06
> nouveau0: interrupting at msi9 vec 0 (nouveau0)
> nouveau0: info: fb: 4096 MiB GDDR5
>
> Anyone else seeing this?
>  Thomas

Yes, looks like the same bug as that I'm experiencing:
https://gnats.netbsd.org/56847

I wonder if nouveau has been actually working for anybody on HEAD, or if
the driver is in a completely broken state. In the latter case, the
situation appears at least as relevant (and even more so) as that
concerning i915drmkms.

I understand that Nvidia is not very popular in opensource-friendly
environments, and that likely very few developers are interested in it,
but in my opinion this problem deserves some more attention before
ever releasing -10.

Otherwise, given that now blacklisting nouveau modules on boot has
become common practice among netbsd users, the possibility of disabling
the driver by default in GENERIC is something to start taking into
consideration in my humble opinion.

Side note: the nouveau(4) man page in -9 states that GTX Geforce 10xx
are supported, but this shouldn't be the case with the drm/kms stack
shipped with 9.x (which afaik was ported from Linux 4.4)
https://man.netbsd.org/NetBSD-9.2/nouveau.4

We might get more verbose/useful messages by booting with `-v -x', and I
can provide further logs if required.

Kindest Regards,
PVO

--