built and installed -current with clang, can't build in /usr/src

Greetings.

Built and installed NetBSD-9.99.96 [clang/LLVM] on 16 May and it built
everything including X11, which is great, except that I decided to
completely blank out my extant system (fresh everything under /bin
/sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/lib* /lib* /stand; restored /etc).  Now
I cannot even kick off a build because even if I specify:

./build.sh -c clang tools

it fails to build the tools because the build is still looking for gcc.

Is clang/LLVM still considered "experimental"?  Is this a known issue?
 Will John and Marsha make it out of the system before it crashes?

"Inquiring idiots want to know."

--
--*greywolf;