Re: Stable names for USB serial adapters

mrg%eterna.com.au@localhost (matthew green) writes:

>this works great!  if i have serialnumbers in my ucoms :-(
>out of 20 devices, i have 3 with serial numbers, leaving me
>with 22 ucoms without a stable name (5 dual port devices.)

>tempted to suggest we include something like this in src,

This here works with a few enhancements to the USB stack:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  10 May  1 10:12 ttyU.1.4.1@ -> /dev/ttyU0
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  10 May  1 10:12 ttyU.1.4.2@ -> /dev/ttyU1
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  10 May  1 10:12 ttyU.1.4.3@ -> /dev/ttyU2

root hub Port 1
hub Port 4
device Port 1 / 2 / 3

Still not sufficient if you have multiple controllers and therefore
multiple root hubs.

You can prepend the bus name like:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  10 May  1 10:56 ttyU.usb1.1.4.1@ -> /dev/ttyU0
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  10 May  1 10:56 ttyU.usb1.1.4.2@ -> /dev/ttyU1
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  10 May  1 10:56 ttyU.usb1.1.4.3@ -> /dev/ttyU2

but the bus isn't necessarily stable once you get hot-plug USB controllers.

There should be a generic concept of a device path for every bus.