Re: Status of NetBSD virtualization roadmap - support jails like features?

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 06:07:46AM +0200, Matthias Petermann wrote:
> > 1) nvmm seems to work well in netbsd (I haven't run it yet) and there has
> > been bug fixing.
> >
> > 2) code flows between BSDs a lot, in many directions.
> >
> > 3) You could run diff to see what's different and why.

Its basicly adjusting the code to work in DragonFly; the repo the m00nbsd
refers to already has the backport for NetBSD in it (on first glance). They
claim in the commit that it works on both.... so why isn't the developer not
committing it back or PR'ing the code? It was ported by Aaron LI (aly@) with
help from Matt Dillon and Maxime according to the DragonFly BSD NVMM page
(https://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/docs/howtos/nvmm/)

> > Probably after your message (which I view as helpful) someone(tm) will
> > look at the diff.  But if you are inclined to do  that and post some
> > comments, that's probably useful.

From what I saw on first glance it was making the code mode OS independent and
some minor glue and NetBSD compat is provided. No functional change on first
glance.

> Thank you very much for your points. I will indeed do the diff asap out of
> interest, although I can't promise that anything can be derived from it -
> I'm not a kernel developer, let alone know anything about virtualization
> beyond the administrator level ;-)
>
> But from a roadmap point of view, I see it as a good sign that nvmm gets bug
> fixes and is described quite comprehensively in the NetBSD guide.

Indeed! It needs to updated in NetBSD ASAP so they don't drift and changes are
easily picked up. Our few own modification could be PR'd to them too.

With regard,
Reinoud