Re: XEN devices included in kernel even if not XEN

On Tue, 21 Dec 2021, Brad Spencer wrote:

Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> writes:

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 07:44:59AM -0800, Paul Goyette wrote:
I've noticed that device drivers listed in arch/xen/conf/files.xen
(or, at least, most of those devices) seem to be included in kernel
even if not using XEN.  Shouldn't all those devices be conditional?

# sysctl -a | grep driver | tr ',' '\n' | grep 'x[be]*'
 [141 -1 xenevt]
 [142 142 xbd]
 [143 -1 xencons]

I think this lists all the known major numbers for the $MACHINE, I don't think
it means that the driver is actually loaded.

... and a PVHVM guest can use the GENERIC kernel, but will want the Xen
devices too.

Thanks to all for the info.

Manuel is correct - I actually checked the build object directory and
there are no *.o files related to the xen devices.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:    |
| (Retired)          | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul%whooppee.com@localhost    |
| Software Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost  |
| & Network Engineer |                          | pgoyette99%gmail.com@localhost |