Re: backward compatibility: how far can it reasonably go?

On Tue, 7 Dec 2021, Greg A. Woods wrote:

So I've got a couple of old but important machines (Xen amd64 domUs)
running NetBSD-5, and I've finally decided that I'm reasonably well
enough prepared to try upgrading them.

However it seems a "modern" (9.99.81, -current from about 2021-03-10)
kernel with COMPAT_40 isn't able to run some of the userland on those
systems.

Is this something that should work?

I believe that this should work.

If it should I think it would make the upgrade much easier as I could
then plop down the new userland and run etcupdate.  (there are of course
alternative ways to do the upgrade, eased by the fact they are domUs (*))

The most immediate problems I noticed are with networking.  ifconfig -a
returns without printing anything, and trying to enable IPF crashes:

Without looking at the details of your backtrace, the issue with
ifconfig(8) could be related to PRs kern/54150 and/or kern/54151.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:    |
| (Retired)          | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul%whooppee.com@localhost    |
| Software Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost  |
| & Network Engineer |                          | pgoyette99%gmail.com@localhost |