Re: Entropy bug and effect on building software packages and base system

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 08:43:03AM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> What is the current status of the entropy bug in NetBSD-current,
> which prevents building and installing some packages in pkgsrc?

I am not sure what "entropy bug" you are refering to.

There is an (admin) issue if you use "reboot" or "halt" instead of
"shutdown -r" or "shutodwn -p" (or just kill a virtual machine), but
that is not only bad for the saved entropy pool. Running powerd(8)
is usefull if this is about a virtual machine.

And then there is a one time install issue where on some machines you
have to make sure to seed the entropy pool *once* manually.

If there is anything beyound that, please file a PR with more details.

Martin