Re: Automated report: NetBSD-current/i386 build failure

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 01:50:40AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 01:28:06AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
>  > that is... less than helpful :-(
>  >
>  > it looks like CVS randomly didn't commit some of my changes,
>  > investigating...
>
> Yeah, not sure what happened; something caused it to, apparently,
> think a few of the files in the second changeset still had the
> original checkout timestamps. This makes it completely blind to any
> changes in them (even if you run cvs diff explicitly) until you touch
> the files.
>
> Not sure how this happened. The affected files were all ones also
> committed in the first changeset, which is probably not an accident,
> but it wasn't all those files, just an arbitrary subset of them.
> Doesn't make much sense.

I had a similar issue with my source trees when I copied them over to another
machine. I must have copied them the wrong way since timestamps were off. I
used the blunt force
  find . -type f | xargs -n1 touch

to force CVS into checking each file remotely :) It surely took its time but
it all worked like a charm again.

> High time we moved away from CVS.

Why would other version systems not suffer from this same issue when the date
stamps are somehow wrong?

Reinoud