re: X11 doesn't start -current amd64 lenovo laptop

can you try without an xorg.conf at all?  this hardware is
not currently supported by our kernel drm driver and will
need to fallback to wsfb or vesa.  it should do automatically
without an xorg.conf to force a driver.

in general, X -configure is no longer recommend, and a
minimal xorg.conf for only the parts that aren't default OK
is what we recommend now.  when i am trying to force a driver
all i have is an xorg.conf with just this:

---
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "wsfb"