how to get nodev for zfs?

I'm contemplating using zfs over NFS for domU package builders, and I'm
basically allergic to NFS for security reasons but it should be
confined.

So I'm trying to reduce exposure, and have set setuid=off on
zfs filesystems.  That successfully prevented a suid binary from working.

The other usual thing is "nodev", and zfs has a devices property on or
off.  So I went to set it to off and got an error that FreeBSD doesn't
support that.

I made a device node (just with mknod) for wd0d and I was able to dd
from it.

Is there any good approach to avoiding this?   Why doesn't devices=off
just lead to the nodev mount option and work, similar to setuid=off
leads to nosuid?