Re: [HEADS UP] pkgsrc default database directory changed

from Thomas Klausner :

> I've collected specific advice outside of the basic ones here:

> http://pkgsrc.org/news/pkgdb-change/

My installed packages are in a mess, and I probably need to rebuild from the beginning; also I intend to switch from modular pkgsrc Xorg to native Xorg

Packages mess was due to pkg_chk gone awry, and pkg_rolling replace not being able to handle Xorg upgrade, as well as the transition from Python 2.x to 3.x, which played havoc with other package systems besides pkgsrc.

Besides, I will be upgrading from 8.99.51 to current.

I was going to mv /usr/pkg to /usr/pkg-old and /var/db/pkg to /var/db/pkg-old, but I guess the latter part no longer matters.

I guess /var/db/pkg and /var/db/pkg.refcount will just become deadwood.

Is the advice on http://pkgsrc.org/news/pkgdb-change for installing from binary or building from source?

I suppose I would need to update /etc/mk.conf , and build cwrappers and/or pkg_install with USE_CWRAPPERS=no to avoid the circular dependency.

Tom