Re: [HEADS UP] pkgsrc default database directory changed

    Date:        Wed, 2 Dec 2020 07:25:48 -0800 (PST)
    From:        Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost>

  | If one adds tnn's suggested entry to /etc/mk.conf, is it also needed
  | to apply uwe's update to /etc/pkgpath.conf?

Depends what state you leave the system, mk.conf is used when building
stuff (and only then), pkgpath.conf is used at run-time (including by
/etc/daily).   pkg_install.conf is used internally by pkg_install.

  | One additional series of questions:
  |
  | * should anything be changed in postinstall(8) to at least check for
  |    the "correct" location?
  | * should postinstall(8) attempt to fix it? (probably no)
  | * should postinstall(8) "obey" the suggested changes to mk.conf and/or
  |    pkgpath.conf?

Those I'll leave for someone else to consider.

  | Finally, I looked, and my system doesn't have any file, anywhere
  | (other than in source trees) with the name ``pkg_install''.  Am I
  | missing something?

Only that pkg_install is just the generic name for the set of pkg_*
utilities, none of which is actually called pkg_install.   It includes
pkg_admin pkg_add pkg_delete pkg_info and pkg_create.

For your setup, the versions in /usr/sbin should work fine with an
entry in /etc/pkg_install.conf to specify where the database is to
live.   You probably also need /etc/pkgpath.conf for /etc/daily and
mk.conf for the next time you build everything (that or an up to date
checkout of HEAD, assuming that you want to use the new default path).

kre