Re: Build failure for ``no options PTRACE''

In article <293ee35a-90b6-fe89-42ca-9adfbc9db402%netbsd.org@localhost>,
Kamil Rytarowski  <kamil%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>On 18.10.2020 15:00, Paul Goyette wrote:
>>
>> I'm getting lost inside all this elf stuff....  :)
>
>ptrace is not really pluggable and the maintenance burden to have part
>of it as loadable modules questions the usefulness of this.
>
>My request to demodularize it stands.

A lot of the kernel is difficult to modularize, because it was not
designed this way.  I think that there is value in modularization
because it reveals the dependencies between subsystems (global
variables and functions).

Even if we decide to de-modularize ptrace, we should understand what
prevents us from modularizing things and design ways to make things
more plugin oriented. Yes, I agree that we should not make ifdef's
hell or add complexity which will end up in more bugs and fragility,
but if we don't try, we will not know.

christos