Re: arp: ioctl(SIOCGNBRINFO): Inappropriate ioctl for device

Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 11:10:55AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 11:05:49AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>> > The one with 192.168.0.x configured is wm0. (I only have an lo0 except for that.)
>>
>> Strange, your kernel is newer or same age as your userland?
>
> My kernel is from September 4. Since there was no version bump I
> assumed that I could install a newer userland (with gcc9) without
> problems.

I don't think that's a good assumption.   We bump the kernel for an ABI
change within the kernel, and this was an addition to the user/kernel
ABI.

My impression is that you always need a new kernel before a new
userland, and I never had any reason to think any other plan was
reliable.