Re: Status of COMPAT_LINUX and Linux emulation?

COMPAT_LINUX works as well as always, and will continue working the
same. Presence in GENERIC does not change how reliable it is now or in
future. There are no plans to remove the actual code, the option as
well as the kernel module will continue working.

Going forward using the kernel module is probably a better option, you
can use the standard distributed sets without needing to have a custom
kernel that way.

There were numerous bugs found in various parts of the compat code
that prompted this change. The removal from GENERIC intends to reduce
the attack surface of the default distributed kernel. Thus any future
discovered problem would only affect the people who explicitly enable
COMPAT_LINUX on their systems.

Jaromir